I am the owner of Wilderness Development and can take bookings on a freelance basis for event management or outdoor pursuits instruction.
Event Management History
- Peak District Challenge co-founder, with specific responsibility for technical and safety aspects of this annual 24-hour overnight ultra marathon. Leading a team of 20 staff and volunteers to coordinate 450 entrants, established 2013.
- Events Manager for Outdoor Swimming Society for five years. Managing a team of five, looking after 200+ suppliers and volunteers to deliver two annual downriver swims that increased in size from 300 up to 1600 swimmers: Bantham Swoosh and Dart 10k.
- Site Manager or Team Leader for range of other annual challenge events inc Spine Race ultra-marathon, BUCS Wild Water (kayaking) race
Mountain Sports Qualifications
- NICAS indoor climbing award scheme inducted (Levels 1-5)
- Summer ML
- DoE gold expedition assessor licence
- BCU Level 3 Inland kayak coach
- White Water Award assessor
- BCU Level 2 Canoe coach
- 4* canoe trained
- RYA Safety Boat and Costal Powerboat L2.
- 2010- Class 2.1 BA in Business Management at The University of Sheffield
- 2004- 3 of A Levels in Maths, Physics and Systems & Control Technology
- First Aid (18hr FAaW)
- Good conversational French and basic German spoken
- Amateur Swimming Association swimming teacher (Level 1)
- Full UK car driving license since July ’04
- MiDAS for accessible minibuses (4.25T, 6.5m)
Instruction or supervision of
- Dragon boats, bell boats etc.
- Ghyll scrambling
- High roped activities (Zip wire, Jacob’s Ladder, Leap of Faith etc)
- Improvised Raft Building
- Initiative exercises and team building games
- Low ropes courses
- Facilitation and reviewing
Developing World Travel Experience
- July 2004 to September 2007, Instructional staff in a range of outdoor education centres in Eire, France, Lakes and Buckinghamshire, instructing a range of activities.
- November 2006 – April 2007: Resort Rep in Tignes, France for Crystal Finest.
- October 2008-May 2011 – Part time freelance outdoor instructing work during degree course at Sheffield University.
- May 2011 onwards – Owner-manager at Wilderness Development and freelance instructor.
Frequent Freelance Outdoor Education Clients
- A to Z Expeditions
- First 4 Adventure Ltd
- Carnegie Great Outdoors
References can be provided on request.